Sunday, August 03, 2008

'Tis the life indeed


A. is a big fan of Metafilter, a list of interesting links readers have found on the web each day. On a Saturday a few weeks back they had a link to vintage ads, including the one above for the 1944 movie This is the Life.

All I have to say to those girls salivating while awaiting their turn bent over the table (as well as the young man behind the guy with the paddle) is I'm next.

Oh and yeah, there is spanking in the movie. Richard Windsor has the clip in an assortment of spanking-in-film clips on YouTube.


4 comments:

Paul said...

Natty, I've often wondered why consensual spanking is so on the edge when there were so many scenes in the movies.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Natty said...

Very good point. Or maybe because spanking is on the edge, filmmakers sneak it as a way of making their movie more edgy. I dunno. Though it does seem like there is less spanking in current movies than those of the 40s and 50s.

Anonymous said...

Hi Natty! I think you've got it right - producers KNOW that there's an intimate/sexy aspect to spanking and they throw it in as a way to amp up the erotic factor without a need for an actual sex scene. I always wonder if spanking scenes in older (particularly B&W) movies were there specifically BECAUSE they were so often forbidden from displaying other sexual intimacy.

Natty said...

Mr Shiny, you've got a blog! Yay! Are you back at the newsgroup? :::opening Thunderbird to check:: Aww...nope. But that's okay. You've got a blog!

Right. Now about your comment, you articulated what I would have said if my brain had not been complete mush. I think you're right about the B&W movies using spanking in lieu of sex scenes. And now that we've got sex scenes in movies, not to mention that feminism has made it inappropriate to treat women like children -- and quite rightly I should note -- we see less spanking in contemporary movies.