Friday, August 10, 2007

Three is a magic number

Three is a magic number,
Yes it is, it's a magic number.
Somewhere in the ancient, mystic trinity
You get three as a magic number.

Every time I think of three, I think of that Schoolhouse Rock* song. Though one would think "Naughty Number Nine" would seem more appropriate for a blog about spanking. However, three is indeed the magic number today because it's the third birthday of this here blog.

When I mentioned to A. that the blog is now three years old, he was a bit surprised. "I thought it's been longer." And the funny thing is, I feel like it's been a long three years as well. Maybe because my life has changed so much. When I first started blogging, I was still in graduate school. I was still somewhat mobile. Hell, I could still drive.

Initially, I started blogging because I wanted to give a stable home on the web to my spanking stories and essays that I had posted on the soc.sexuality.spanking newsgroup over the years. But like everyone who blogs, I quickly discovered that it was a place to make friends. To share all those kinky hijinks and thoughts that I couldn't share with my vanilla colleagues and family (though, I'm not so sure my family is very vanilla).

Granted, there were only a handful of us in the spanking blogosphere back then: Patty, Tarte, Poiesia, Invidia and Bossman, Library Girl, Sparkle, and, of course, our originator, Dan (I know I'm missing others). Suddenly -- sometime in late 2005/early 2006 -- the number of spanking blogs exploded. But in early 2006 my spanking mojo dried up for a few months. When I came back, the size of the spanking blogosphere was overwhelming, and I don't think I've ever really caught up since. Indeed, I'm not sure if it is possible to catch up as there's just so many.

But it's definitely a case of the more, the merrier. I've been quite happy to see old friends from the newsgroup like Haron and Abel, Dyke Grrl, Alex Birch, Ted and now Jen join the fun -- each contributing their intelligent imaginations that I enjoyed so much before blogging. Mija, another newsgroup pal, has been blogging for a long time but has started blogging about fetish stuff more recently, while Pablo has been blogging for even longer (I think), including kink-related posts here and there.

Blogging is also, at times, as sort of therapy, albeit while thousands of people watch. In early 2005, when I had an improvement in my health and could write more, I processed so much about my kink -- how I use it to relate to my body, how it interacts with childhood abuse, how I integrate it into all of me, how it has helped heal old wounds. And, of course, since then when I haven't been writing about getting spanked, I've been writing about how I nourish my kink while dealing with a long-distance relationship, chronic pain, blood clots in my lungs and a debilitating illness. It hasn't always been sexy, but it's real life.

I remember starting this blog during a few-week reprieve between two very painful infections. And I named the blog after a character I wrote about in a non-kink story who represented the healthy, mischievous little girl I longed to be. The little girl that spanking allows me to be. It was also my nick on the soc.sexuality.spanking newsgroup, so, you know, it made sense.

But I've never been able to escape the fact that I'm not really Natty, at least not the healthy, mischievous little girl. And more and more I find that I'm less interested in escaping. Don't get me wrong, there's always room for a little escaping. I mean, I'll always fantasize about being one of those poor, abused girls in a RGE-Lupus film. And I'll always have a little mischief in me. I mean, it wouldn't be very fun if I didn't.

But I also know that mostly I -- Michelle -- am both a woman and a little girl who thinks too much, is generally very good (indeed probably worries too much about being good), who is both strong and, yes, fragile. And who just needs a spanking every now and then. Or sometimes more. ::grin::

So, thanks for being with me through a lot of spankings -- with canes, straps, wooden spoons and even leeks -- and a lot more.

And on this august occasion, it'd be great to hear from some of you hundreds of nameless individuals who visit every day. Give a quick shout out in the comments section. Maybe share what you've liked over the years. Even a favorite post if you have one (mine is probably the "Under the apple tree" post, though I know a lot of people liked the Grand Canyon spanking). Think of it as NSB's Third Anniversary Delurk Day.

0O0



*For those of you who do not fit that narrow demographic of Americans chomping on Lucky Charms every Saturday morning while watching cartoons in the mid-1970s to early 1980s, Schoolhouse Rock was a campaign to educate us during commercial breaks with three minute cartoons featuring songs about math, science, history ::cough:: propaganda ::cough::, grammar, and personal finance. It was way cooler than it sounds because the songs kicked ass.

11 comments:

Beginning with "B" said...

Happy Three Year Anniversary!

~~three really is a magic number!

[many more to you, Michelle. I'll be sure to return again, every so often, to take a peek at your Journey.]

Cheers,
xx,b.

sparkle said...

Well, I'm still up early Saturday morning, though there is no Schoolhouse Rock to watch with my Lucky Charms (er, oatmeal).

I love your blog, Natty. Hey, I've labelled it Compulsive Reading *grin*.

Thanks for the shout-out, too :)

I'm going to say that my favorite entry is yet to come. So there. Keep writing!

sparkle

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I certainly haven't been reading that long, but I'm definitely going to go back and catch up on what I missed.

Your blog is "Compulsive Reading" for me as well.

Take care,
(Naughty) Lele

Natty said...

Thanks b! You're always welcome. :)

Thank you, Ms. Sparkle. And isn't it a shame that if you gotta be up early on Saturday morning there's no "Conjunction Junction" anymore? Ah...good times...

And I will definitely keep writing. Hopefully, I'll give you your favorite. :)

And thank you, Naughty Lele! I hope I can start writing more for you to read compulsively. :)

Abby said...

Happy three years! I've only been reading you for about three weeks, but I hope to be around for much longer than that. And for what it's worth, I get the Schoolhouse Rocks reference. Speaking of numbers, I've been meaning to post the Sesame Street Pinball Count Down on my page. Since twelve is also a magic number. Did you hear that Kellogg's is going to stop advertising to children? No more Lost Me Lucky Charms, Tony the Tiger, or Snap, Crackle, and Pop! We're lucky we grew up when we did! Best wishes and hugs and so forth! ~Abby

angrylittlegirl said...

Happy 3 years, Natty! I love your blog, I love the internet, and I love that I don't have to be embarassed (well, umm, no more that I'm *supposed* to be) about things like my long distance boyfriend making me spank myself on the phone because blogs like this and The Punishment Book are here to let me know I'm not alone :) This seriously helps me feel like I'm okay and makes it clear that wanting to be spanked is not contradictory to be a strong and intelligent woman...thank you.

Your courage and insight are always appreciated, lady, and I'm glad you're here.

Natty said...

Heya Abby -- thanks! And I hope you'll be around more too. Not just here but at your own great new blog. :)

And I'm glad you got the Schoolhouse Rock reference too. It's a very important reference point, at least for us Gen Xers. Regarding Kellogg's no longer advertising to children, my first thought was, excellent! But I do grant you that the Lucky Charms leprechaun or Digg Em frog are also important cultural icons. Indeed, despite my own announcement that I would not wear a t-shirt that has me paying for the privilege of marketing someone's product, I did buy a Trix Rabbit t-shirt at the Goodwill because, you know, it reminds me of my childhood. :)

Hey there angrylittlegirl -- thanks so much! I'm glad for the internet too, as I'd have gone certifiable long ago without it. And I'm glad my ramblings have been helpful as I have had many moments of wondering who the hell wants to hear about me getting spanked over the phone, ya know? But now I can say to myself that, well, angrylittlegirl does, and that's good enough for me. :)

Jigsaw Analogy said...

Happy three years! I realized, while reading this, that my own two year blog-i-versary just passed.

I appreciate your blog, not just because you write about things that resonate with my own life, but ALSO (especially) because you're a good writer while you do it. That makes a big difference.

It was great getting a chance to visit with you while I was in Portland... wish we could have stopped by again; maybe next time!

Anonymous said...

Happy three year "blogiversary", and congratulations on being a smart, funny and sexy writer. I don't get to spend too much time scrolling through the spankonet lately, but always stop by to say hi. I did, however, enjoy a big bowl of Lucky Charms the other night. They were magically delicious!

miss kitty

Jigsaw Analogy said...

Dang! Forgot to comment on the Schoolhouse Rock reference! I loved those segments when I was a kid, and for the brief time that ABC re-aired them in the mid-90s (that's when the personal finance ones were written, btw). I actually wrote a paper on Schoolhouse Rock when I was in grad school. The educational segments were meant as a way to keep the networks from having to stop having commercials during Saturday morning cartoons. No joke.

As for Kellogg's.... they will only pull the advertising for cereals that "don't meet certain nutritional guidelines." My guess is they're not really going to pull the ads; they're just going to make the cereals minimally more nutritious.

But back to SHR: when I was writing the paper, my sister gave me the entirety of SHR on CD, so I turned those into MP3s, and we listen to them in the car. They are GREAT car music, because you can sing along (and who, while on a camping trip, wouldn't like a song that starts "Got home from camping last spring, saw people places and things. The minute I arrived, they asked me to describe the people, places, and every last thing. So I unpacked my adjectives. I unpacked frustrating first...."

Natty said...

Yay! I'm back online!

Heya Dyke Grrl -- thank you for your kind words! And it was great getting to visit when you and W. were here. It would be so cool if we all lived in the same place.

::singing "...so I unpacked my adjectives..." :: Yes, SHR is definitely good times. And the savvy way those network guys came up with to avoid not having to give up their commercial time almost gives me warm fuzzy feelings about Capitalism. Almost. ;-)

Heya Miss Kitty! Thanks for always stopping by and offering your kind thoughts. And enjoy those Lucky Charms for me. :-)