The new spring issue of Bitch magazine is now online and gracing discriminating newstands everywhere. Why, you ask, am I suggesting you read Bitch on a blog about spanking? Well aside from the fact that it's a great magazine about pop culture and feminism, and, as the great bell hooks said, feminism is for everyone (including -- maybe even especially -- spankos), I also recommend you go out and find yourself a copy because this issue contains an article featuring yours truly (as well as others) and domestic discipline (it is, alas, not one of the articles available online -- yet).
I found a great deal in the article that was thoughtful and valuable. And, of course, there are a few areas where I very respectfully disagree. But I figure it might be nice to have a discussion about it if at least some of you have read the article. (Lordy it's been awhile since I said that -- albeit in a college classroom). Or, more importantly, I'm totally stalling while I wait for the fog to lift.
In the meantime, while I go back to watching television and trying not to drool on myself when I doze off, I leave you with a quote from a beautifully written post that was included in a recent feminist carnival. Go on. Go, read the entire post. You'll be glad you did. (My, aren't I in a toppy mood tonight?)
So, we took school seriously, we dated boys who were enlightened and honoured our stellar futures, we went on to postsecondary education, we delayed marriage, we started our careers and bought our houses before beginning our families, we nurtured our careers, earned our promotions, followed the social issues, donated to the progressive charities, hired the childcare, earned as much as or more than our husbands, pushed against the glass ceiling, talked the talk, walked the walk. We had everything, did everything, exhausted ourselves fighting the good fight, achieving the good life. One thing we / they forgot though … we somehow missed out on some of the original intention — choice.
I followed the rules, lockstep. I didn’t follow the only possible path — I get that. There were variations I could have chosen...Basically, though, I followed the rules. That’s how it felt — what we were really good at was the same thing our mothers were good at — following rules. This particular set of rules was about emancipation not subservience, but they were set expectations, nevertheless. It took me a long time to figure that out. Don’t get me wrong; I was grateful for the opportunities provided by those expectations and by the women who trailblazed to create them — I still am. But here I am, 42, and living in a box that is roomier and has better views than the one that contained my mother… but a box even so.
So… one night this week, I will meet Him. For four or five hours, I will accept a new set of rules, where I call him Sir, and he calls me pet, and I kneel, and he ties me up, and I shiver, and he spanks. The difference is that they will be rules that he and I negotiated together...




9 comments:
Good grief, woman, are you SURE we aren't sharing a brain? (It would explain much of the brain fog!)
I had been getting ready to post about the article in Bitch just this morning!
I'm still processing all of my different responses to the article. On the one hand, for a non-DD writer, she was moderately nuanced.
On the OTHER hand (and this is why I'm doing some processing before I post!).... maybe it's sour grapes because she totally left out me and W. But I feel like one of her central arguments--that DD is rooted in misogyny--would not have worked so well had she thought to include the interview with me and W, talking about how, as a lesbian couple (and not butch/femme, so in no way replicating traditional gender roles) we seem to go through a LOT of the same process as male top/female bottom couples.
And if you have the same issues when gender is taken out of the equation, then perhaps not all DD is rooted in misogyny.
Gah. Still to irritated with the flaws to have a coherent response. I need to go through the processing in my private journal before I write more.
Thanks for pointing this out, Natty! I'm really looking forward to reading it when it comes up online.
Take care, hope the fog lifts soon.
Lele
JA -- :::cue Twilight Zone music:::
Actually, I'm thinking more and more my brain fog is due to the morphine and having to stop an immune system supplement that was making me feel so good. :::pout:::
I've had a copy for a week and a half now and so far I've managed four paragraphs, one of which I ended up using in this post. I've also got notes in the margins of the article, but so far my mind hasn't quite managed to pull a coherent post together.
Your concern is definitely shared. Her take that this is predominantly a M/F thing with roots in misogyny is problematic, though I can see how easy it would be to make that assumption. However, considering that it is in Bitch, I think it would have been very difficult for her to have much of an article if she took a non-gendered approach.
But I was really bummed she left you two out too. :-(
Lele -- Hopefully they'll put it on soon. What I've noticed through my RSS feed, though that might be completely wrong, is that they seem to put a few articles online each week. They do hold back a lot, though, so I can't promise it will ever make it online.
Well, maybe it depends on your definition of feminism, I say snarkily. I mean, if your definition of feminism is that behaviors are not necessarily rooted in gender, then talking about how something that some people justify based on misogynistic gendered notions can *also* be seen as separate from that, and that DD can be something about meeting needs that some *people* (as opposed to some *women*) have... anyhow. Clearly, I'm still processing.
Okay, I was able to make quite a lot of headway in writing about this today (the key I'm finding is to write when I first wake up rather than read email), so I think I'll have a nice meaty post late tomorrow...er, today, rather.
Right. Off to bed for the next 13 hours... :::rolling my eyes:::
Wow Natty, thanks for pointing this out. 'Just a different roomier box'...absolutley! I can't wait to get hold of the article! Sara
I think I saw the article more negatively than you did, Natty. My response was too longwinded to post, so I e-mailed it. I suppose I should warn the community that any posts about feminism and spanking are likely to get 1000-work "comments" from Indiana...
Thank you for quoting me and linking to me... I'm honoured that you felt my little piece was worth mentioning.
I'm honoured that you stopped by to say hi, and grateful that you wrote one of the best pieces on feminism and BDSM I've ever read. Thanks so much!
Post a Comment