That was A.'s question when I told him a little bit ago about my appointment with my anticoagulation nurse this afternoon -- you know, the one I mentioned in this post.
Sometime during the summer I noticed that I would often dress up when I had an appointment with Nurse K. A voice inside my head taunted me with you are so trying to woo her. To which I responded with a sound "am not." Then a few seconds later gasped and went omg, I am!
While I didn't really dress up today -- in fact, I didn't even bother getting out of my jammies, just pulled my sweats on over them -- I did decide that, well, fuck it. Let's just be really provocative and wear my hair in pigtails. So I did. My long, baby fine hair streaming out of two pink hair bands and tangling up with my multi-colored scarf.
The first part of the appointment was all serious with questions about whether or not my immune system can handle a tetanus shot and finding a suitable vein from which to draw blood. The little strips that they usually use to check my clotting time, which simply involves pricking my finger, have been recalled so the last couple of weeks they've had to do an actual blood draw. But, thanks to all my layers under my big black coat keeping me warm (which she said made me look like a penguin) and K.'s skill we managed to get a whole vial on the first stick.
"You're such a good patient," she told me. Which made me smile my good-girl smile.
After scheduling my next appointments (yep, it really is plural), I got ready to go. Gave K. the mandatory hug. Then she started buttoning up my coat.
"You need to stay warm when you go out." She put my hood up. "Do you need this too?"
"Uh, no, I don't think I quite need that," I giggled.
"I know, I know," she said. "'Stop smothering me,' right?"
"Oh, no you're -- "
"Did you want to take this home with you?" K. snapped the rubber tourniquet at me a few times.
"Nah, think I'll let you keep it," I giggled some more. K. got a bit sheepish.
"Don't tell anybody I was doing that! They'll tell me to quit beating the patients!" We both laughed.
Ah...if only... ::grin::
Monday, November 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment