Saturday, October 07, 2006

School canings and a Communist Colin Firth

Just finished watching a brilliant movie, Another Country, set in a British public school during the 1930s. I figured with that sort of setting, there's got to be at least one good caning in it, ya know? And there is, though the way in which it was done - a sort of peer imposed discipline - didn't quite work for me (though I had that most bizarre of spankee thoughts -- hmm...I wonder what it would be like to get caned that hard...wait, no, don't think that and for gawd's sake don't say that to A.!).

What did work for me was Colin Firth as a moralistic, self-righteous Communist spouting off about the bourgeoisie and the proletariat throughout the movie. OMG! Can there be a more dreamy toppish character? ::swoon:: I keep trying to put my finger on just what makes Colin Firth so hot. I mean, he's fairly plain when you compare him to other hot guys. I dunno. I really think it's that he emits some sort of spanko vibe that even non-spanko women find unwittingly appealing and makes those of us who are spankos simply drool.

Spanking and a Communist Colin Firth aside, Another Country really is a great movie in exploring class (again, set in a British public school so class is going to be a central issue) and sexuality (you know, boys having sex with boys but for heaven's sake don't ever get caught). Rupert Everett plays Guy Bennett, a gay schoolboy who later goes on to betray his country as a spy for the Russians (don't worry, I haven't spoiled the plot, you learn that in the first five minutes or so). The film, as the stage play before it, explores the psychology behind how Bennett, based on the real-life Guy Burgess, could come to a point where he would chose to be a traitor.

Interestingly enough, his affair is with a character played by Carey Elewes -- you know, Westley from The Princess Bride. Actually, Another Country is about four years before his "as you wish" days so he's just this cute, freckled-face lad. And being the bad Catholic that I am, I thought it quite apt that he's played both a gay schoolboy and the future Pope John Paul II.

It's funny because movies or books set in lavish school settings always bring out the Lisa Simpson in me. There's more than one scene of Everett and Firth reading or talking in a wood-paneled room with a bay window -- my idea of academic nirvana. Indeed, I remember when I read Catcher in the Rye, I had a hard time finding Holden Caulfield at all sympathetic because all I could think was, "oh boo hoo, you only have access to the best education money can buy and a family home next to Central Park! Gawd it must suck to be you!" (I think you can see where a Communist Colin Firth would be so appealing to me...)

Which reminds me of my last post. I think the reason my spanking life is so unlike spanking fiction is that I'm both "Natty" and Lisa Simpson stuck in the same body. LOL -- hell, that's probably why I'm so sick...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colin Firth and spanking. Two of my favorite subjects!

Loved him as Darcy, of course. The ultimate alpha-male.

The voice. The physique. And that stride....!

I was lucky enough to meet him in person at the Toronto film festival last year. He is achingly beautiful. I actually wrote a Darcy-inspired story featuring spanking which was quite well received on a non-spanko Jane Austen fanfiction website, and while doing some websurfing, came upon an M/M spanking fantasy written by one of his gay admirers!

Colin Firth...everyone's fantasy!

Natty said...

See, this is interesting because I was just talking with my best friend (who happens to be gay) and Firth just doesn't do it for him. So I wondered if his appeal was something specific to women. My friend's take was that women like him for the same reason they like gay guys -- he's sensitive and non-threatening. Indeed, his exact words were "he's like some guy who's had the testosterone sucked out of him and replaced with Jane Austen."

I disagreed and your comments seem to back me up. And I like it when someone helps me prove I'm right - LOL! ;) (Well, some of it probably has to do with the fact that my friend is into Bears, and Firth isn't really much of a Bear.)

I'd love it if you could post the link both to your story and the M/M story.

Anonymous said...

Here's my story, but I have to let you know there is just a brief spanking, in one of the later chapters:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2869101/1/

And here's the gay Darcy spanking story, which I find very hot for some reason:

http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/celebrity/paddled-for-prejudice

Anonymous said...

He is good teaching it voice is very stagger