From my perspective, BDSM is a product of human sexuality and its wide variety of expressions and is not inherently sexist nor inherently feminist. Because we live in a sexist and heterosexist society, we mainly see maledom-femsub parings, while any other combinations, including those involving trans and queer folks, are marginalized; and female dominants are largely still expected to be fetish objects for submissive men. (Or they aren’t really thought to exist.) Also because of the sexist culture in which we are socialized, there are a lot of men (in general) who are accustomed to getting what they want from women, and there are a lot of women (in general) who have a hard time saying “no” and sticking to it
I particularly liked the point about how BDSM pairings that do not fall within the traditional maledom-femsub paradigm are marginalized as I think this is why any discussion of, say, domestic discipline is always, always gendered even if many of us who engage in the practice do not look at it in terms of gender. She also talks about how BDSM practice can be used to mask sexist beliefs, as in male dominants who believe that all women are naturally submissive regardless of whether a woman may identify as dominant (I think we've all run into that guy). It's a really great post and I highly recommend reading it in its entirety (it's not particularly long).




4 comments:
Thanks for pointing this post out! I'm always glad to read intelligent discourse on feminism (or lack thereof) and bdsm.
Thanks for this. It hit on a lot of things I've been contemplating lately. Kinky feminists are maybe the greatest people in the world... just sayin.
It's a fine article.
Something I mentioned in the comments section is the sexism is manifest in another way when male submission is marginalized.
I can't tell you how many times over the years I've heard comments from women along the lines of it being okay if men switch, but any many who they've ever seen bottom could never top or dominate them because they wouldn't be able to conceptualize them as a dominant.
I know we all decide what will or won't float our boat, but that sort of internalized absolute confinement seems so limited.
::sigh::
Nadia -- You're most welcome! I'm the same way -- if there is intelligent discourse on BDSM, I'm there!
Graham -- I agree. I (heart) kinky feminists.
Mija -- Having a partner who is a male switch also, I so so so know what you mean. And I have to confess, I had internalized that consciousness a bit myself. A part of me wondered when we talked of switching whether I would be able to look at him in a dominant role. Well, lemme tell ya, that has NEVER been a problem. I almost want to make a bumper sticker or something to the effect of "real men switch".
I think that now old (and unfortunately titled) post at the PB about men wanting to be little boys was also an attempt to address this issue. This is one of the few times that the "internalized absolute confinement" of gender hurts men than women.
Post a Comment