But, I do have a bit of reading for you all. No tests will be forthcoming but comments will get you extra credit. ;)
First off is this article from Alternet about a course on African-American sexuality. Let's face it: most of us blogging or posting to newsgroups about spanking are white. Not all certainly, but...well, the vast majority. And it's something I've found rather curious.
Among his students, he finds that "certain things are considered taboo because they're considered things that white people do. For example, gay and lesbian identity is considered white, introduced to blacks during slavery and not organic to Africa. Religiosity also comes up; sexual practice is conflated with religious prerogatives."
And it's not just us bloggers, most academics studying sexuality are white too.
...a notion prevails that sexuality studies is something that white people do and something that people of color have done to them. This paradigm sets up a power dynamic that can leave people of color dissociated from the sexuality research field.
And we're not just talking about homosexuality or interracial dating. The topic of BDSM is also part of this course on African-American sexuality.
"We've had this motif that runs through the course: It's called power," Baham says. "I ask the students: How about if we play with power? How about if we play with violence? How about if we play with slavery? I talk about BDSM as a political act. [In BDSM], all the issues with gender roles, slavery, violence and power, all of these come to a head...Baham starts by talking about spanking or being spanked as an example of what BDSM can entail. He'll often bring in a guest speaker from the BDSM community. Through these discussions, the students are able to see the potential for BDSM to be, as he puts it, "a redemptive and spiritual act." His students often mention having a slight interest in the topic, but that they don't know what it is and think that it's a "white thing." Despite this, students report that the idea of "doing things that are aggressive or submissive is exciting. There's a tremendous amount of interest, but real lack of information on it," Baham says.
A lot of it reflects white privilege, something most white people don't think about much but something Peggy McIntosh wrote a very famous essay about many years ago in which she listed the various daily effects of white privilege. Now, DarkDaughta has used McIntosh's essay as a template to list the effects of sexual conservatism privilege. As a spanko I found myself nodding frequently as I read through the list. I need to read it a few more times to give a serious review of the post, but I certainly encourage you all to read it as well. Granted, as a spanko I'm often able to blend in with "vanillas" far better than those with more visible sexuality, and I certainly wouldn't consider any oppression I've suffered from because of my sexuality to be near the level that those who are black or gay have suffered (though the "who's suffered more" game is frequently pretty pointless).
And of course, when you mix gender, race and class all up together, it gets really, really interesting.
But at any rate, some stuff I've read recently that pertains to issues surrounding our kink that I thought some of you might find interesting too. If nothing else, it's something to keep you busy until I have the energy to write something of my own.




5 comments:
Hi Natty,
I've done some preliminary work with white privilege, but hadn't yet run across McIntosh's article. Thank you so much for posting it! She speaks to a lot of the frustrations around racism now. I think that many white people think of racism as "that thing that Martin Luther King Jr fixed in the 1960s." Looking at it from the perspective of white privilege forces me and other whites to look at our complicity in *systemic* racism rather than individual acts.
The piece about sexuality and African-Americans was interesting too. Like you, I've noticed and wondered about the almost-exclusive nature of the scene. There's definitely a class issue at work there too, since many of the parties and gatherings involve travel costs, hotels, and party fees. Not a feasible venture for everyone, and certainly not multiple times a year.
Seems like we have a long way to go in battling all the -isms and the privileges they imply. Thanks for putting this up to get us thinking about it!
Blessings,
Iris
You're very welcome!
And I think class really is the issue. When I look at my own family, which falls anywhere between working poor and trailer park poverty, there is definitely a strong undercurrent of BDSM sexuality going on (as I've blogged about a few times), but everybody is just focused on surviving too much to really sit down and think "hey, let's explore power dynamics in our sexuality!"
For African-Americans, that focus on survival is even greater. And then when you add all the different aspects of hundreds of years of racism and oppression, exploring devient forms of sexuality becomes a much more frightening thing.
Yet spanking is so so so very prevelant in African-American culture that I have a hard time believing that this same sexual dynamic we whiteys have isn't also going on for many within the African-American community. But again, because of that history of racism and oppression, exploring that dynamic can feel -- and may even indeed be for all I know -- a very dangerous thing.
And you're soooo right. White people do tend to think racism is done with now that Martin Luther King Jr. did his thing, yet blacks have a far shorter life expectancy, and far higher rates of unemployment and incarceration (one in three black males will spend time in prison during his lifetime). Frankly, I'm always amazed that black people aren't rioting in the streets for the way they are treated in this country and the fact that they aren't is a sad testament to just how much oppression black people have suffered here.
Hmm... interesting issue. The issue of race in sexuality and BDSM (and blogging come to that) is an interesting one.
My first comment, as it tends to be, would be that this isn't a black / white issue. Race in the US, of course, covers Asian and latina/o as well. How Asians are constructed by the scene (I'm thinking of commercially created visual images here) can be a bit disturbing at times.
Bloggers on BDSM are mostly white -- but probably seem even moreso because (as I found) when you use a medium where there are no visual racial markers, the default is always to assume that writers are white. Academics researching sexuality are mostly white -- then again, academics researching *anything* are mostly white.
Something that the recent demonstrations in Los Angeles made clear though is that there *are* a lot of non-whites using the 'net now. I wonder when or if that's going to change assumptions about what the face of the writers we read look like?
Sorry for the ramble... I probably should sleep before writing more on this. :)
I'm glad you got a chance to comment as I'd imagine some of your research might touch on this topic.
You rightly point out that race is not a question of black and white. As an aside, I think Americans generally think in bi-polar terms about most things, including race. Lord knows I see them do it all the time when it comes to the Middle East or welfare policy. But I think that is a flaw in the Alternet article and the courses the article was about.
But I do wonder about the issue of BDSM and race being just one of medium (computer). As you point out, it's clear that non-whites are using the Internet, but are non-whites, say, using spanking to express their sexuality?
Now, while the Alternet piece suggested that, blacks at least, don't think to so much because that's seen as a "white" thing, it could also just be that because there is still so much segregation in American society, those of us who are white and blogging don't know what's going on among blacks, Asians and Latina/os. And as someone on the SSS newsgroup pointed out during one of my less-than successful attempts to talk about this issue (but hey, it's race and nobody wants to talk about that!)if you're non-white, it's likely that you may not feel comfortable showing up at a munch or even on a newsgroup (I know of one Asian on the SSS newsgroup and I've met several Arabs and a few Indians on an mIRC chatroom, though I had an Arab nick then).
On the newsgroup I'm assuming there aren't many blacks from the source of the "startles." If you watch, say, UPN with shows with far more black characters than other networks, there are tons of spanking references. But I can't ever think of even one of those being mentioned on the newsgroup. I admit I haven't watched any of the Spanish networks or Asian networks as I don't get them (and my Spanish sucks and my Vietnamese is non-existant) so I don't know how many spanking references may be on there. But I know Spanish networks at times have a higher viewing audience than the big four (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) so they certainly aren't a marginal culture force.
As I said in the earlier comment, I think a lot of it is also a class issue. When you're just trying to survive, there isn't a lot of thought given to the power dynamics in sexuality.
So many different dimensions to the issue. So much to think about. Looking forward to seeing more discussion in the future.
thank you kindly for your insightful comment on African-Americans and the spanking kink on The Cherry Red Report. Your post here is very fascinating on this complex topic--I as unaware of many of these possible societal, cultural factors....
Dave
Post a Comment