I was 11 years old and Fred Meyer was having a coloring contest with a Thanksgiving theme. The first prize was a $15 gift certificate. For reasons that I cannot explain to this day, I knew I would win that gift certificate if I entered. With my pile of colored felt-tip markers, I carefully and skillfully colored in the black-outlined pilgrims holding their cornucopia of harvested squash, apples, and corn whilst standing next to the Indian friends blissfully unaware of their impending genocidal fate. But I didn't stop with just coloring the page. Being an aspiring writer, I gave them dialogue. Though what I wrote in the bubbles I drew over their heads like cartoonists do is now lost in the mists of time.
But that little bit of creativity paid off to the tune of a $15 gift certificate, with which I bought a pair of black patent-leather pumps with black grossgrain bows at the toe line. They were the prettiest pair of shoes I've ever owned. Not that I got to wear them often as I was perpetually spraining my right ankle thanks to my genetically-defective collagen. The doctor insisted I wear my Nikes and ankle sock brace at all times to support my ankle, something I found humiliating as hell when I was wearing a dress. Whenever I did wear my patent-leather pumps, I felt beautiful. And talented. Could I not kick some coloring contest ass or what?
oOo
In the end, I went with a picture in the AofGG coloring book where Anne is about to break her slate over Gilbert Blythe's head. It's naughty and not too detailed. I used colored pencils, which are surprisingly muted when scanned and uploaded to my laptop. I don't know that it's my best coloring job. And I definitely do not have the same confidence in my chances of winning this coloring contest. But my inner 10-11 year old has needed an outlet of late. So while my grown-up self listened to Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century, my little self colored Anne Shirley and the students of Avonlea school. The two halves of me that are so often at odds with each other quieting to let each other just be. It was a rare moment of wholeness.
As always, I woefully underestimated how long it would take for me to color, scan, and post the picture (to say nothing of blogging which I never planned on doing to begin with). It's after 4:30am. Nanny Bea (who is almost always hovering in the back of my mind these days) would be appalled. And almost certainly reaching for her hairbrush. As she will expound upon in a forthcoming story, bedtimes are sacrosanct.
Except when I'm entering a coloring contest. Right?





7 comments:
I'm THIS close to being 51 (a week and two days!), and I own coloring books and the BIG box of crayons. I need a coloring book like the one you have, because I can't find cool ones that aren't basic as hell unless they're just designs. My mom also has coloring books and crayons, and she's three weeks from being 75. The point being, never grow up!
Nanny Bea would perhaps say "Une fessée, un suppo, et au lit!"
@Pecan -- Bien sur!
You're back!!! Yay!!!
Aww, you're so sweet! But only...kinda. Or sorta. Or not yet. Or for this post, at least.
I'm in the background reading other blogs. And I've just finished a major revision of my first Nanny Bea story, as well as started the new one mentioned in this post about sacrosanct bedtimes. From time to time I work on my plan to redesign this website with the hope that I will soon be able to execute it.
Next year sometime...hopefully? Alas, it's all up to the Illness Dom/Damn Disease. :-(
****THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:****
Portugal is the Biggest Racist country that i have ever lived in. I feared for my life there and i consider myself lucky that my family got out alive! I have never lived in such poverty (Sopas dos Pobres everyday) 40% unemployment rate and 60% of the population earn less than $932 USD per month, and that's considered Middle Class here! Within the European Union it is the worst of the worst place to live.
The bottom line is the bulk of the People in our poor country exist in a brainless comma that is fed by Ignorance, anti-Spanish hate, and severe Racism of pretty much everybody that isn't Portuguese! And, Portugal started the Global Slave Trade in 1441 so it is definitely NOT a safe place for Blacks!!
I found important websites that explain the Severe multi-generational Racism and Hate that exist in Portugal today, and i highly encourage all to read them and spread the word in order to avoid innocent, and desperate people from living or visiting there. Get educated on the Truths about Racist Portugal now.
1) https://www.theroot.com/a-white-journalist-discovers-the-lie-of-portugal-s-colo-1790854283
2) https://saynotoracistportugal.neocities.org/
3) http://www.discoveringbristol.org.uk/slavery/routes/places-involved/europe/portugal/
4)SOPAS DOS POBRES EVERYDAY IN PORTUGAL BECAUSE OF NON EXISTENT ECONOMY:
https://www.noticiasaominuto.com/pais/764453/sopa-dos-pobres-foi-criada-ha-anos-mas-ainda-existe-problemas-persistem
5) http://www.ipsnews.net/2011/10/portugal-crisis-pushes-women-into-prostitution/
6) https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/06/the-mystery-of-why-portugal-is-so-doomed/276371/
7) Portuguese (what they made-up and call Luso) DNA Phenotype is a mix of Moors, Gypsies and Blacks:
https://www.arabamerica.com/every-facet-portuguese-life-arabs-left-mark/
Be SAFE friends. Hugs.
This was super lovely to read. I had no idea of your history as a coloring artist. I love the picture you did -- clearly worth the later bedtime.
All that said, I've missed you girl. I've got no idea how I've stayed away so long.
Post a Comment